Heading into this workout I knew it would going to be a grind. I was feeling hella stiff from the work I had put in the day before. I had gotten barely any sleep at night and walked into the gym a zombie. On days like these you just gotta throw the headphones and rely on your determination to get through the lift. To make matters worse, the gym was again crowded af. I feel like the entire city of waterloo was working out at this particular Goodlife on this night, and they were all hitting chest. No benches were open and it was just an all-out shitshow.
None the less, I threw in the headphones and proceeded to play some bangers I had discovered recently. I searched “DJ Snake –Summer Tour”, pressed play, then put my head down and got to work
Stair climber for 5. Get the blood flowing and loosen up. The climber for me is a good indicator of how the workout will be. Today the 5 minutes felt like 15. NOT a good sign.
Static stretching and band work to loosen up the shoulders. Even with the stretching I felt stiff as a board.
Work Out: Chest and impromptu ab session
- Plank Cycle – 30 seconds flat, 30 seconds right side, 30 seconds left side. Rinse and repeat 3 times
- Medicine Ball Work (5 lbs ball) – Russian Twists for 30, Leg raises for 12 (hold ball above you), 15 sit-ups (ball tucked close to chest), finish by dropping ball and lying on back and holding legs 2 inches off ground till failure. Repeated this twice.
- Ab Wheel Rollout – 6 reps
- Hanging leg raises – 3 sets of average 10 reps
- Declined Sit-ups superset with side bends – 3 sets of 20 reps, 45lbs plate for 15 reps each side
- Inclined Press – Warmed up with 40’s, and 50’s. 2 sets at 65lbs for 6 reps, 1 set at 55lbs for 8 reps
- Bench-press – 2 sets at 135 for 8 reps, 2 sets at 155 for 4 reps
At this point in the workout I had been at the gym for about an hour or so, and it was still packed and every chest machine and bench was still being used. I had to stalk for exercises to do.
- Chest Press Machine – 3 sets at 45lbs for 12 (slow it down, focus on stretching muscle and contracting)
- Chest fly machine – 3 sets at 115lbs for 10 (nice and slow again, feel the contraction and hold in the middle)
- Dumbbell flys – 3 sets at 25lbs for 10
Soon to be “Johnny Two Plates”